How is it caused
Sebaceous glands in skin secrete sebum for lubrication and protection of skin by Killing the microbes.Generally these glands gets activated and release sebum at puberty and this sebum production driven by the hormones called Androgens (testosterone). At the age of puberty these androgens are secreted in high amounts which releases more sebum.The bacterium causing acne, Propionibacterium acne is present on skin grows enormously in sebum. It leads to the inflammation, due to the activation of immune system by the release of inflammatory mediators like Interleukins and Tumour necrosis factor etc., Some of the risk factors involved in the acne formation are,
- Diet – Oily Food enhances the chance of occurrence of pimples due to synergistic effect of sebum. Milk and other hyperglycemic products also increases the production of androgens, sebum etc.,
- Hormones – As discussed previously, androgens are the hormones involved in the over secretion of sebum by the sebaceous glands, and this leads to the Acne.
- Stress – Recent days stress is the most common cause for different health problems, and one such is Acne. Stress, sometimes may causes the production of free radicals(monovalent ions) which damages the skin cells or might be due to imbalances in hormonal level during menstrual cycle.
- Hereditary – Genes from the parents also causes Acne in their children, as thr traits will be shared in the offspring.
- Medications – Sometimes medications like phenytoin, hormonal medications, lithium etc., also causes acne. Cosmetics and accumulation of dirt also produces pimples.
Signs and Symptoms
- White or black heads observed, if ruptured leaves permanent scars.
- Inflammed pimples on various parts of face and body most commonly seen on cheeks.
- Redness or pinkish swollen nodules appear on skin causing irritation and itching.
- In youngsters, Acne also causes low self-esteem and depression.
- Burning sensation and pain persists on the affected area with pimples.
- Antibiotics can be used against bacterial infections thereby protecting the skin from microbial infections.
- Special peel offs are available to remove dirt from outer layer of skin and protecting from acne.
- Changing the lifestyle and food habits can help in preventing Acne.
- Special medicated soaps and cleansers can be used to keep skin healthy and get rid of Acne.
- lemon and honey
- Rose water and Multani
- Orange peel powder
- Apple cidar vinegar
- Olive oil
- Tomato and cucumber
- Oat meal
- Raw potato
- Ice cubes
- Baking soda
Beautiful skin always depends on what we eat and where it gets exposed to. Eating healthy food like fruits and vegetables, cleaning the skin with mild cleansers regularly will keep the skin healthy and beautiful.