Now- a-days expectations are too high on one’s own ability and if that does not happens, individuals have been experiencing lot of stress. Those expectations might be regarding finance, work, relationships, dangerous situations etc., In simpler terms, the imbalance between the individual’s ability and reality situations yields stress. Actually stress is not at all bad all the time to a limited extent. When it reaches the maximum, crossing the threshold level it has damaging effects on human. It helps to motivate yourselves and to reproduce your best in reaching the goals. But continuous and chronic stress will produce damaging effects on human body and mind.
How is it caused
Mostly it is can be expressed during sudden Attacks, fearful situations due to the release of neurotransmitters(Chemicals) called Adrenaline/Epinephrine and Nor-adrenaline/Nor-epinephrine. These are called Flight or Fight hormones, as they are released either during fearful situations or challenging situations. They are released by some neurons of central nervous system(brain) and Medulla part of adrenal glands located on kidneys. They are transmitted to the site of action through neurons, synthesized and released from pre-synaptic neurons to act onto the receptors of post-synaptic neurons. Thus the flight or fight response gets transmitted through the neurons and reaches to the target cells for a motor response.
Effects of Adrenaline and Nor-Adrenaline
- Acts on cardiovascular system – Increases the Heart rate
- Increases blood sugar levels.
- Increases blood pressure in arteries.
- Increases breathing rate.
- Dilation of pupils of eye – Mydriasis
- Relaxation of intestinal muscles – Decreases rate of digestion
- Relaxation of Uterus muscles.
- Bronchodilation – Relaxation of lungs.
- Increases contraction of skeletal muscles.
- Increased secretions of sweat due to stimulation of glands.
Over production of these Stress hormones results in
- Heart diseases
- Hypertension(high BP)
- Digestion problems/Ulcers
- Eczema(skin allergy)
- Memory loss
- Thyroid problem
- Auto-immune diseases etc.,
Signs and symptoms
- Low energy
- Stomach upset
- Pain or tense muscles
- Loss of sexual interest
- Rapid hear beat
- Dry mouth
- Memory loss
- Inability to focus
- Eat natural and healthy diet rich in proteins,vitamins,omega 3 fatty acids like green leafy vegetables,fruits etc.,
- Have a fulfilled sleep at night at least for 6-8 hrs at night. As our biological cycle is meant to take rest at night have a sound sleep.
- Exercise regularly to maintain your metabolic activity higher and to get rid off excess unwanted fats from your body.
- Have a hot water bath which relieves stress immediately.
- Banana,Dark chocolate both have instant stress relieving property.
- Meditate daily for a few minutes to keep your brain out of stressful thoughts and relax.
- Have a deep breath for 5-10 minutes which relieves you out of stress.
- Listen to a lovely ,melodious music silently which relaxes your brain.
- Massage gently with some essential-oils to relax your muscles and nerves and kicks off stress.
- Focus on present.forget about past and future.Just stay happy and relaxed.