HOW OBSESSIVE COMPULSIVE DISORDER OCCURS
Definition:- Obsessive compulsive disorder defines as a features of unreasonable thoughts and fears that leads to do repetitive behavior.
- It is mainly characterized by two terms:
- Obsession means unreasonable thoughts & fear
- Compulsion means repetitive behavior
- They both interfere with the daily activities cause distress.
- Thus person may try to ignore obsessions but that only increase your stress and anxiety ultimately you perform compulsive acts
OCD CYCLE (obsessive compulsive disorder)
OBSESSION COMPULSION REINFORCEMENT
Obsession symptoms :-
- Fear of contamination
- Aggressive to your self or to others
- Unwanted aggressive thoughts
- Intense stress
- Avoidance of situations
- Shaking hands
- Feel uncomfortable
- Washing and cleaning
- Silently repeating prayer
- Checking doors repeatedly to make sure they are locked
- 80% cases are before 18 years
- Higher in males than females
- It is common in latin america, Africa & Asia
Severity varies :-
- Usually begins in teens or young adults
- Symptoms usually begin it tends to severe through out life
- It is considered as life long disorder
- OCD thoughts are simply excessive varies some about real problems in your real life
- Obsession and compulsions affect the quality of life .
Causes :- major causes are formed :-
Biology :- OCD may result due to any changes in the body or brain dysfunction
Genetics :- OCD may have genetic component but specific genes have yet to be
Environment :- some environmental factor infections may leads to OCD
Risk factors :-
- Family history
- Stressful life events
- Other mental disorders
Although there are infinite forms of OCD this may be categorized in to 5 categories :-
- Checking :- need to check the compulsion
- Mental contamination:- main OCD type in this type wash hands repeatedly
- Symmetry :- compulsions feel discomfort
- Intensive thoughts:- generally suffers with obsessional thoughts that are repetitive
- Hoarding :- inability to discard useless commonly referred as hoarding
- Cause is unknown
- Low levels of serotonin can cause OCD symptoms.
Basal ganglia dysfunction :- Parkinsonism disease associated.
(internal or external) (internal or external)
TEMPORARY RELIEF COMPULSION
- Health issues such as contact dermatitis frequent hand washing.
- Inability to attend social activities.
- Trouble in relationships
- Poor quality of life
- Sucidal thoughts and behaviour .
- Pharmacotherapy :- treated with drugs such as (SSRI’s) selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors.
- Fluoxetine, fluoxamine, sertraline.
- Cognitive behavior therapy
- Psycho surgery
- Deep brain stimulation.