HOW LYME DISEASE OCCURS
Lyme disease ( Lyme borreliosis ) is a infectious disease , A tick borne illness caused by bacterium “Borrelia burgdoferi”, deer ticks can carry the bacteria that cause Lyme disease hence it is also called as borreliosis.,
It is transmitted through the bite of infected back legged ticks.
Stages of Lyme disease :-
It occurs in 3 stages;-
- Early localized
- Early disseminated
- Late disseminated
B.burgdoferi enters in to the skin at the site of tick bite
After 3-32 days the organisms migrate locally in skin around the bite
Spread via lymphatics
Cause regional adenopathy or disseminate in blood to organs or other skin sites
Initially an inflammatory reaction
(Errythema migrans )
Antibody response to infection (serologic conversion).
- It was recognized in 1976 because of most commonly reported tick borne illness in u.s
- It has been reported in u.s and 49 states., but >90% of cases are seen in main to Virginia.
- In west coast, northern, California, china , japan , Soviet union.
Most commonly occurring seasons:-
It usually occurs in summer and early fall. Most of the patients are children and young adults living in heavily wooded areas.
Signs and symptoms:-
- Difficulty in concentration
- Specific typical rashes
- Early small red bumps
- Erythema migraines
- Fever, chills, fatigue , body aches , head ache , swollen lymph nodes.
- Clinical evaluation.
- Serological testing
- Western blotting
- MRI scanning showing demyelinated areas of brain with multiple sclerosis.
Antibiotics:- amoxicillin, penicillin
NSAID’s :- ibuprofen, naprexon
- Vitamins like B1, C
- Fish oil
- Alpha lipoic acid
- Olive leaf
- Essential oils
People may experience:-
- Pain areas :- in joints and muscles
- Whole body :-fatigue, fever or malaise
- Joints :- stiffness or swelling
- Also common :- butt’s eye pattern rash or head ache
What happens if we left Lyme disease untreated:-
- If the disease is left untreated the infection can spread to the joints, heart and the nervous system which can explains some of green’s symptoms.
- Patient may suffer with severe headaches and neck aches heart palpitations, facial palsy and arthritis with severe joint pain.
Prevention of Lyme disease:-
- Wear repellent
- Check for the ticks daily
- Shower soon after being outdoors.
- Call your doctor if you get a fever or rash
BE TICK AWARE:-
A > avoid high tick traffic areas like tall grass and leaf piles
W> Wear proper clothing like long pants, sleeves and socks.
A> Apply tick repellent properly
R> Remove clothing when back indoors put in hot dryers.
E> Examine yourself for ticks daily they are always there.