What is a drug
What is a Side effect
How a drug toxicity occurs
How a drug gets Approved
Rezulin an anti-diabetic drug have been withdrawn from the market after 3 years due to the liver toxicity.
Omniflox,an antibiotic against pneumonia and other respiratory infections,have been withdrawn fom the market after 3 months due to their toxic effects on kidney and blood cells (anaemia).
Drugs and their Toxicities
- Aspirin – Heartburn,ulcers, Allergy,internal bleeding,liver,kidney toxicity.
- Paracetamol – Allergy,Gastrointestinal bleeding, kidney toxicity.
- Cetrizine –Drowsiness,tiredness,dry-mouth,sorethroat,cough,headache ,constipation.
- Levothyroxine–Headache,Insomnia,Nervousness,Increased sweating,Bone pains.
- Metformin(diabetes) – Kidney complications,tiredness,metallic taste.
- Esomeprazole(ulcer) – Confusion,fast heart rate,Diarrhoea,muscle cramps.
Surprising good Side effects
All the side effects are not dreadful and harmful. Some drugs may have useful side effects also. Confused ?
Minoxidil , marketed for treating high blood pressure but produced a side effect of hair growth. Now it have been used as topical lotion for treating baldness.
Aspirin a normal anti-inflammatory drug, have been decreased the mortality rate of prostate cancers. Daily dose of Aspirin activates a protein which inhibits cancer cell growth.
Paroxetine , used to treat depression have been found effective in lowering the risk of heart failures as it have the ability to inhibit an enzyme GRK2 which was found to be overproduced during heart failures.
How to deal with Adverse effects
- Many drugs causes disturbances in the stomach causing nausea, vomiting,ulcers, diarrhoea etc., Always prefer to take the medication along with the food as it may reduces gatric secretion due to drugs,unless prescribed to take on empty stomach.
- Avoid alchohol consumption, Caffeine,stimulants,citrus fruits and spicy food.
- Ask tour doctor about the side effects of prescribed drugs and consult immediately of any severe condition of those effects.
- Ask for an alternative safe medicine to get rid of side effects of persistent drug.
- Adsorbants like Activated charcoal will be preferred in case acute poisoning of higher doses of drug.
- Colorful coated medicines and syrups may attract your child.keep out of children.
- Drink plenty of water and fluids to eliminate toxic substances from your body.